Hi! I figured it was finally time for a blog post with a saree, and what better time than when I’m home in India (with my mom to help me put it on, lol). I love the timeless beauty and grace that comes with wearing a saree.
Growing up as a South Indian, I’ve had to go saree shopping for a variety of occasions like graduations, weddings & Indian festivals. So I figured for this post, I’d talk about how I select the right saree for me as I tend to gravitate towards neutrals. I struggle with picking out Indian outfits because I’m not a fan of bright and colorful clothing. Bright pink? Neon yellow? Whaaa. Lol. No judgement if you’re someone that can rock those colors, but here’s what I look for in a saree that is traditional, yet fits with my aesthetic:
- Base Colors: gold, black, white, cream
- Accent Colors: red, magenta, deep purple, maroon, dark green, navy (& any other base color)
- Border: gold (I don’t wear silver)
- Fabric: raw silk, Mysore silk, Tussar silk, Kanchipuram silk, silk-cotton
- Embellishments: preferably along the border, minimal across the body
- Blouse: playing up the accent color, designed modern / traditional depending on the occasion
- Draping: I always wear the pallu with defined pleats – I don’t like it draped across my shoulder!
I hope you enjoyed seeing my ethnic style! Let me know what kind of saree you like if you’re Indian 🙂